Downtown Housing Incentive Program
This program recently awarded a $25,000 grant to 211 Bridge Street for the creation of two new apartment units that will be deed restricted for year-round occupancy.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please contact us for more information before submitting.
Incentivizing Year-Round Housing
The Downtown Housing Grant offered by the City of Charlevoix Downtown Development Authority supports property owners seeking to build or convert square footage designated for year-round housing. The matching grant provides financial incentives to help downtown building owners better utilize their vacant or underperforming space while retooling the properties to help address a major challenge in Charlevoix – housing. With more downtown housing, residents have more varied and viable living options, businesses have access to a greater workforce, and property owners have a more diverse and dependable income.
$25,000 in total, is available for the 2023-2024 fiscal year.
Grants are awarded on a per-unit basis.
Each grant can provide up to $25,000, or $15.00 per square foot of newly constructed or renovated residential space, whichever amount is lower.
Grants require a 50% match and are offered as project reimbursement upon project completion.
Construction or renovation must begin within 120 days of grant application approval and must be completed within 1 year of approval.
To successfully apply for the Downtown Housing Grant, applicants must:
- Own property within the designated downtown development authority district
- Show proof of financial funding for the project, along with an itemization of project costs.
- At least one licensed contractor must submit a project quote.
- Show proof that all property taxes are current and the building is insured.
- Attach all relevant construction, building, and zoning permits. This could, depending on the project, include:
- Zoning Permit, obtained from City of Charlevoix Zoning Administrator
- Site Plan Review, obtained from either the City of Charlevoix Zoning Administrator or the City of Charlevoix Planning Commission
- Building Permit, obtained from Charlevoix County Building Safety
- Electrical Permit, obtained from Charlevoix County Building Safety
- Plumbing Permit, obtained from Charlevoix County Building Safety
- Mechanical Permit, obtained from Charlevoix County Building Safety