Zoning Permits

Starting a construction project? Putting up a shed or garage? The Department of Planning and Zoning is responsible for the issuance of zoning permits.

  • What is it? A zoning permit is used to prevent overcrowding, provide for fire safety, and to ensure orderly development. A zoning permit is different from a building permit, which is issued by the Charlevoix County Building Department. For many types of projects, one must first apply for and receive a zoning permit before they receive a building permit.
  • When do I need one? A zoning permit is required for the construction, erection, alteration, placing, or moving of any building or structure on any lot. This includes everything from home additions to the placement of storage sheds. A zoning permit is not required for interior projects, the replacing of windows, siding, or roof (if the height of the roof does not change). Although a zoning permit may not be required for these types of projects, a building permit may be.
  • If you are unsure if you need a permit, contact the City Planner at 231-547-3265 before you start your next construction or home improvement project.